link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Thursday 2 February 2012

84:It ain't 'alf cold mum

Yesterday, as I was "doing my rounds", I glanced up at the thermometer on Rechnoy Vokzal metro station. The temperature was -22. The coldest day of the year here in Moscow. I know that further to the East, in Siberia, it gets much colder, and to the West and South there was unseasonal weather. But I'm in Moscow and writing about what I see and hear and feel here. I didn't feel too cold as I was well wrapped up, although my cheeks were tingling a bit. The trouble is that if I pull a scarf up to cover my face then my breath forms icicles on my moustache. I would consider shaving it off but it's been there more than 40 years! 


Today's photo is of the frost on the inside of a bus I was travelling in yesterday. You will see one window is covered in frost while the window in front of it is comparatively frost free. There are several reasons for this. Firstly there are heaters under some seats but not all. These really chuck out some heat and sitting on these seats often cause your nether regions to be hotter than you might want. Secondly at every bus stop the middle and rear double doors are opened, usually whether passengers are disembarking or not. This quickly brings down the inside temperature of the bus. In the photo you will see some people are still wearing their hats/hoods. Many buses have electronic displays to indicate the next stop and also to indicate the outside and inside temperatures. There is often quite a difference between these two temperatures, despite the doors being opened so often.


The video clip underneath is a play on words (игра слов) of today's blog title. It is a clip from the '70s sitcom "It ain't alf hot mum" about some National Servicemen (from the days, long ago, when we had призывники) somewhere in India or the Far East (from the days, long long ago, when we had an Empire).





No comments:

Post a Comment