link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Monday 27 February 2012

105:A cyber-bully has appeared


I went for ages and ages wondering whether anybody was reading my blog. Yes there were statistics citing a significant number of ‘hits’ but these could have been automated “phishing” attempts rather than actual visits from real people. Then slowly one or two of my friends started to add their comments and tell me off-site how much they were enjoying the entries. I now share my blog on FB and my audience has grown even larger. I’m pleased.

Now though, I have my very own cyber-bully! He, and I’m assuming it’s a he, is going his mile peppering my blogs with his own style of “wit”. You carry on, my friend, freedom of speech prevails – here on the internet at least, if not yet in Russia.

I’m reminded of an old Brezhnev-era joke, to counter some of those my cyber-bully is spraying like bullets all over my site:
A Russian and an American are on a train somewhere and start talking. The American said “in America, we have Freedom of Speech. I can stand in front of the White House and shout 'down with Reagan'.” The Russian said “so what. We have Freedom of Speech too. I can stand in front of the Kremlin and shout 'down with Reagan' any time I want.”!

Why have I chosen to write a blog? There are several reasons. Probably the most important for me is to provide an additional learning platform for my students. I decided to use an informal, conversational, style of English to supplement the material I am giving them from course books. I deliberately use lots of set phrases and idioms. I am also keen to highlight some of the many cultural differences between out two great nations. If only to help avoid a faux-pas from either side. Another reason for writing is to keep my UK friends and family abreast of my adventures and experiences here in Russia. From the perspective of our little island Russia might as well be the other side of the world. 

I found today's photo mildly amusing. Compare the colours in Iceland's flag, hanging outside its embassy in Moscow, with the colours on the no parking sign hanging nearby.



1 comment:

  1. Киберхулиган? Это единственное, что пришло к вам в голову?

    Да, процесс в ней, видимо, НАСТОЛЬКО глубок и запущен, что можно диагностировать: «хроника»… т.е. хронический… А это, к сожалению, уже навсегда… никакая терапия не даст 100% эффекта.

    « and tell me off-site how much they were enjoying the entries» - ?????

    Наслаждаться? Как можно? Запах, идущий от ваших записей, простите, очень неприятный. Когда их читаешь в вашем блоге, создается впечатление, что у вас еще одна проблема есть – диарея…

    «Probably the most important for me is to provide an additional learning platform for my students.»

    Бедные студенты! Интересно, а родители этих студентов читают то, что вы ежедневно вкладываете им в головы посредством подобных занятий?!. Думаю, что и Департаменту обучения, который дает разрешение на ведение подобной практики в России - преподавание, нужно подсказать почитать ваш блог… Кстати, необходимые копии мной уже сделаны.

    «Another reason for writing is to keep my UK friends and family abreast of my adventures and experiences here in Russia. From the perspective of our little island Russia might as well be the other side of the world.»

    Вы «отлично» справляетесь с поставленной целью! Два разных мира - ПРОПАСТЬ, с добропорядочной Англией? Чтобы это было похоже на правду, любые средства хороши. Для вас - гипертрофированный, порой, случайный и практически обыденный для всех стран и народов реализм, вы возводите в ранг, надувая, как мыльный пузырь. Негатив… негатив… негатив… в каждой вашей записи (за КРАЙНЕ редким исключением).
    Гость. Красивое и уважаемое слово для всех народов. Оно, кажется, пока относится и к вам? Где же хваленый английский такт? Миф? Вряд ли, просто, как говорят русские : в семье… Неужели нужно рассказывать большому дяде – учителю!(???) – КАК ведут себя гости?

    ReplyDelete