link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Saturday 21 January 2012

73:The Russians

A random selection of a few Russians on Kantimirovskaya metro station. I'd like to use the photo to illustrate the fact that although they may look like "us" there are, in fact, quite a few differences in their psychology, their culture and their habits and traditions. Allow me to point out a few of these differences with the rider, of course, that I'm emphatically not saying "we" are right and "they" are wrong. Certain things are just done differently. Today I would like to talk about hand shaking.
1.  If a Russian is wearing gloves he will always take his gloves off to shake hands. "Pressing the flesh" means just that. It is bad form to shake hands with a Russian if you are wearing gloves.
2.  It is considered unlucky to shake hands over the threshold. If you are invited to a Russian's flat, or you invite one to yours, only shake hands once you are inside. Exceptionally you can go outside to do it, but never over the threshold.
3.  This last one is, perhaps, the most controversial from a Westerner's point of view. A Russian will enter the office in the morning and shake hands with all the men present but only with the men, not the women. He may also do the same going home in the evening. Imagine trying that in UK! The women would have a field day, saying they are being discriminated against.  Apart from this, rather macho, example I would say that Russian men are usually very gallant towards women, holding doors open for them and generally treating them like "ladies". Perhaps I will write more on this subject when we get closer to "International" Women's Day on 8th March.
In the meantime I am looking forward to any comments or observations from my small band of readers.

1 comment:

  1. Ha-ha, you're right. Moreover, for me it's rather weird when foreigners are willing to shake hands with me. But I accept this because I know what cross-cultural communication is. In fact, "the rules of etiquette" (in Russia of course) say that you MAY shake hands with a woman ONLY IF SHE gives her hand to you. Being first to give your hand to a woman is a bad manner.
    With women it's normal just to greet her (if formally) or to kiss her cheek (informally).
    As for thresholds, it's also wrong to hand something in over a threshold. So, never do anything over a threshold! :)

    ReplyDelete