link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Saturday 14 April 2012

141:Vernisazh

Today I went to Vernisazh to buy a birthday present for a friend. This is a big touristy souvenir market on the East side of Moscow a few minutes walk from the metro station Partisanskaya. Here are some of the partisans after whom the metro station is named.
As you walk down to the market there is a big, and when I say big I mean big, complex of 5 hotels on your left. They were built when Moscow hosted the Olympic games in 1980 and are looking a bit dated now. They are called Alpha, Beta, Vega, Gamma and Delta (known locally as ah bay vay ge day ka) and I often stayed there when I visited Moscow before I moved into my rented flat. I used to get phone calls in the middle of the night asking if I wanted any female company




The market itself hosts hundreds of stalls selling an enormous variety of "tat". I had wanted to take lots of photos to show you some of the products on sale but my mobile phone decided to freeze up after I had taken this next picture. With most phones it would have been possible to simply open the back and take the battery out but this is a Nokia E7, which is a sealed unit, so there was nothing to be done with it. Somebody called me and the phone just rang and rang and rang in my pocket until the battery went flat. Luckily, it appears to be charging up successfully.
After buying the present for my friend I decided to lunch there before the long journey home. I can recommend the lamb shashlik. 

No comments:

Post a Comment