link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Friday 16 December 2011

39:Why don't you think like we do?

I'm sorry, I'm going to express my frustration at the Russian character again. Please forgive me? Yesterday I went shopping for a new mobile phone. I knew what model I wanted as I had read reviews of it in English. I had established that the phone was available in Russia and seen that it was available to buy on the internet. Of course I wanted to look at it first and try it to see if it was suitable. I know, I thought, I'll go to the market at Savyolovskaya. If there is one shop dedicated to mobile phones there is 100. They are bound to have it there. I must have gone in to 10 different shops to be met with "Nyet". In UK, I venture to suggest, most people would have said "no, but come back tomorrow and I'll order one in for you" or perhaps "no, but have you tried... as it's very similar".  Or maybe even "sorry". 
Can any of my Russian readers please explain why Russian people think and react in this way. Why don't shopkeepers want my money?  


To counter this implied slur on the Russian character, today's photo highlights Russian kindness and thoughtfulness. Somebody has gone to the trouble of putting out a home-made bird feeder in the middle of Winter. 



2 comments:

  1. Sorry Des, but why should everybody think and do like you do? Evrybody's different and every nation has its own traits, right? Maybe it would be really better if managers treated you as you wish but I feel nothing wrong about short "No". It's just an informative respond, nothing personal. In large shops managers are required to smile and ask customers if they can help. But I find it rather officious, sometimes I just want to see what's being sold, and when they run up to me with such questions I feel obliged to ask something.
    And why should feel sorry for their chiefs who haven't managed to supply the models in need?

    As for bird feeders, it's quite usual for Russians. Such feeders can be found everywhere, not only for birds but also for squirrels :) Very often you can see people (usually elderly women) who also feed homeless dogs and cats. I think Russians love animals and pets more than people :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Чтобы планировать свои будущие доходы от торговли, нужно изначально рассчитывать на массового потребителя - это знает подросток.

    И еще,

    «Старайтесь продавать товар, соответствующий покупателю, тому покупателю, с которым вам приятно работать» - такой совет дают мэтры торговли новичкам :).

    ReplyDelete