link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Monday 4 April 2022

483: Just for Jan

Jan is one of my Face Book friends. I've never met her, but I've met her two daughters and I know her first husband.It turns out that she's coming to Istanbul on Thursday as I'm leaving on Wednesday. Shame, we could have finally met.

But I wanted to write with some advice for her. KEEP YOUR WITS ABOUT YOU AT ALL TIMES. Istanbul is a great place, my blogs and diaries tell me that this is already my 4th visit. Johny Turk is a nice enough character, always willing to help. In my experience most times the help is offered out of the goodness of their heart but, occasionally, they like to help make your wallet a little lighter.

On this particular visit the scams started even before I left Salou. The Pegasus airlines official site included a link to a health site to allow people to complete the now ubiquitous (except in UK) health locator form. I filled it in and, on the last page, was invited to pay $104. Knowing that it was the official Pegasus site, and knowing how keen Turks are to help you spend your money, I, reluctantly, paid. I learnt later it was a scam, the real health locator form is free of charge. Didn't need it anyway, there were no health checks coming through SAW airport, just the usual passport checks. IST airport might be different, I don't know.

Thought I would splash out on a birthday meal last night, not dreaming for a moment it would cost me £85. £85 for a meal for one!!!! The Pina Colada (£6.21) (it's the Del boy in me) and the glass of house white (£3.88) were both acceptably priced but I grudge them £62.16 for the Turbot and then £7.56 for a service charge, just to rub salt into the wound. Making a total bill (including the soup) of £85. I had to go back to my room and lie down to get over the experience. It was partly my fault, I had the fish page of the menu open and had no idea what to choose. The waiter pointed at, and suggested, the turbot. I just agreed. In my defence, to look at the price I would have had to move my eye patch from one eye to the other and lifted the menu to my weak eye. I just agreed. When it arrived, it could have fed the whole street. Super-duper presentation including lwo flaming bowls at the corners. See picture below.

I've had other scams perpetrated on me here in the past, I must just look gullible. One particular incident, on Galata bridge, involved a shoe-shine boy dropping a brush. By the time I had picked it up to return it to him, there was his partner-in-crime already cleaning my shoes! 

So, enjoy the experience Jan but BE WARY. There are >15 million people in Istanbul, even more now that it's one of the few places Russians can go, but I know that you'll be used to crowds as you're from the Lake District! Masks are mostly worn on public transport - don't forget to buy a transport card when you arrive and top up as necessary. As far as Covid is concerned I'd say the picture is much as in England. Young people seem to have thrown caution to the winds and it is left to older, and more vulnerable, to wear their masks.









No comments:

Post a Comment