link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Tuesday 16 April 2013

229:Round and about in Ramsey

I'm in Ramsey. The sun is shining and the weather is lovely (apart from the wind, but you can't have everything).
Here are a few photos taken as I have been walking around our small market town.
The Royal British Legion clubhouse. The British Legion is a charitable organisation set up with the primary aim of helping ex-Servicemen. As well as raising enormous sums of money to help those in need there are also branches throughout the UK where members meet socially.
http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/
Ramsey police station. Once upon a time policemen (and women) used to be based here to respond to requests for assistance from the local community. These days, unfortunately, we have fewer police and they cover a larger area. The "thin blue line" seems to have metamorphosed into more of a dotted line.  "beat policing" has changed much in recent years and we see fewer police on the streets than we used to. Note for any of my Russian students reading this: beat policing doesn't mean police who beat people! (to be on the beat — совершать обход; обходить дозором)
I saw this on the pavement outside the local primary school and was puzzled as to what it meant. After some head scratching I realized it meant that a parent could park a car here for the purpose of dropping their child off for school. They should then drive on. 
This is where I have been going to have my hair cut for the last 20 years. Giovanni is an Italian - and therefore is a hairdresser rather than a barber!! He still retains a strong Italian accent.
This is part of Jones' Court, the Sheltered Housing complex where my mum lives. The daffodils (бледно-жёлтый нарцисс) here, as everywhere, are in full bloom.
I don't know how long this exercise equipment has been here but it is the first time I've seen it. An impressive array of equipment including a bike and a rowing machine. I do hope it gets used, rather than vandalised. I'm fairly sure it's intended for adults in a bid to try and help them get/stay healthy. It is all free and therefore much much cheaper than paying a subscription to use the local gym fitness facilities. Here there is fresh air to boot (к тому же),

I couldn't resist this video clip from Dixon of Dock Green. From a bygone age. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment