link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Sunday 20 May 2012

B161:In hot water again

I don't mean that really. In English "to be in hot water" means to have done something wrong and to be in trouble with somebody - maybe the law, maybe the wife!
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/in+hot+water
What I wanted to say was that the hot water for the block of flats where I live has been turned on again after the annual cleaning/repair of the pipes. It's quite an inconvenience having no hot water for a shower for 10 days but better than losing it in the middle of a Russian Winter. (I remember a really old joke from a David Frost show in the 60s about a masochist who used to like cold showers - so he took hot ones! Think about it.)
Anyway, I went to visit a friend outside Moscow so that I could experience the luxury of a hot shower. Here our some pictures of the commuter train that brought me back to town. People selling almost anything appear regularly at either end of the coach. Sometimes there are buskers like those shown in picture 4. It was interesting that they brought their own amp and mikes with them, tied to a little trolley with a bungee/elasticator. It worked, as lots of people were giving them money as they passed down the carriage.









No comments:

Post a Comment