link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Tuesday 18 May 2021

464: Putting on the Ritz

Life,as a pensioner, is grand.

Two days and two nights in London, so I can wait for my COVID PCR test and Spanish health form to arrive before flying to Spain tomorrow. At least I hope to fly to Spain tomorrow. I just need to convince them I am a resident there and not a tourist. I have a whole wadge of documents and hope it will be enough. 

Spent yesterday evening in the RAF Club catching up with two old friends, Gail and Andrea. As we sometimes say in English we 'put the world to rights', over a couple of bottles of house white.

I'm actually staying in the Union Jack club and this morning, after a very nice Big Boys Breakfast, I went for a walk around this part of London:

Waterloo bridge -> the Strand  -> Trafalgar Square -> Leicester Square -> Picadilly -> Haymarket -> Northumberland Avenue -> Millenium Bridge. All well-known London landmarks. I passed Somerset House, which used to house archives and wills, The Savoy Hotel and the adjacent theatre which used to show Gilbert & Sullivan operettas but is now showing Dolly Parton (not all of her surely?), Fortnum & Mason's & The Ritz. Deluxe suites available at the Ritz from £1,800 per night! I particularly wanted to reach the Ritz to justifiy re-showing one of my favourite flash mob video clips "putting on the Ritz". 

Sitting have a coffee and croissant, as you do, I was amused to see two electronic bollards sliding open to let selected vehicle through. I thought the Daleks were coming to get me.

About to have lunch with my sister and her beau and this evening I shall have a drink, or two, with a Chelsea Pensioner friend.  I wonder if he will be in his scarlets....




 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment