link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Monday 29 June 2015

343: More sore than Warsaw

I'm sitting at Stansted airport on my way back to Warsaw having squeezed in an extra flight over the weekend so that I could take part in the Ramsey Road Runners 10 KM on Sunday morning and attend a party to celebrate the 40th (Ruby) Wedding Anniversary of my good friends Gwen & Clive on Sunday afternoon. 
A picture of a rather exhausted Des at the end of the race. I came in 250th out of 255 but was still faster than last year. I'll know when it's time to hang up the running shoes when I come in 255th out of 255. My run number this year was 2. Perhaps 'they' expected I would come in 2nd (from the end). Only wish it hadn't been raining. Again. It was very nice to be joined by son and daughter this year for the first time ever. Pay no attention to the title of the blog - artistic license. I'm not sore at all today. 
I had also flown to Warsaw (Modlin) the previous weekend and had had some 'fun and games', and not for the first time, at Modlin railway station. A 10 minute shuttle bus journey from  Modlin airport to Modlin station and there was a train waiting so I got on it. Turns out it wasn't to be leaving for another 20 minutes or so. I got off and had a more careful look at the timetable. The train standing at the platform was for Warsaw Centralnaya and was due to leave at 16.29. At 16.36 a train was due to go to Warsaw Gdanska which suited me better. I decided to wait for the 16.36. What a mistaka to maka. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. The 16.29 pulled off on time and the 16.36 didn't arrive until about 17.15 and by then it was full - standing room only. Never mind. There are 6 links in my 'travel chain' and to expect all 6 to be on time is perhaps a little unrealistic. On Friday it was the National Express coach from Stansted to Trumpington Park and Ride that gave me grief. It had been delayed going round the M25 with Friday evening traffic and was an hour and a half late getting to Stansted. Tempers were beginning to fray, not mine I hasten to add, and I thought there was going to be a punch-up between an impatient customer and a member of National Express staff. Luckily it didn't happen, or we would have been even later.
Modlin airport, some 40 miles or so outside Warsaw, is used exclusively by Ryanair. It is a bit of a one man and his dog kind of operation but in the Summer it is pleasant to sit outside the airport building at the burger van and have a cold beer and a hot dog.
Must  finish and report to the departure gate. Which may or may not be a short train ride away. Ryanair improve their turnaround times by checking everybody through the departure gate and holding them on the stairs while the plane is being cleaned/prepped from its previous journey.




No comments:

Post a Comment