link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Sunday 14 October 2012

195:The Cambridge guided bus

I love visiting Cambridge. It's a beautiful city. As far as I know the townsfolk and students live together, cheek by jowl, fairly harmoniously. No (current) rift between the city's "town and gown".
Today I wanted to show you the Cambridge guided bus system. It runs from Huntingdon to Cambridge and is, allegedly, the longest in the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridgeshire_Guided_Busway
Living, as I do, on the edge of the Fens, it is a simple matter to drive to St. Ives and then take the guided bus into Cambridge. And at my age it is free too!
The buses are specially adapted with little guide wheels that come out of the sides of the bus when it enters the guided sections of the route. These wheels keep the bus stable within the channels. The driver no longer has to steer but just control the speed.











No comments:

Post a Comment