link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Tuesday 18 September 2012

190:St Ives

The letters "St" before a word are an abbreviation of Saint, and after a word  represent street. 
Here in England there are (at least) two towns called St. Ives - one a market town in Cambridgeshire and one a seaside town in Cornwall. In my view both are equally beautiful.
I was in the Cambridgeshire St. Ives yesterday to give a pint of blood and snapped a few pictures while I was there.  




There's an old, nonsensical, nursery rhyme about the Cambridgeshire St. Ives that goes like this:


As I was going to St Ives
I met a man with seven wives
Every wife had seven sacks
Every sack had seven cats
Every cat had seven kits
Kits, cats, sacks, wives.
How many were going to St Ives?
The Wikipedia entry suggests the riddle is ambiguous and that there are several possible answers  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_I_was_going_to_St_Ives#Use_in_popular_culture

There is also a pub in St. Ives called the Seven Wives:
The frontage of the Seven Wives Public House in Ramsey Road, StIves, Huntingdonshire.

No comments:

Post a Comment