link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Saturday 31 July 2021

470: Wuss of the week?

Today, 31st July, is mother-in-law's 91st birthday. Happy Birthday Frances. It is also the inaugural running of the Golspie 3-peaks challenge. Named after, and loosely based on, the famous national 3-peaks challenge in which participants climb the highest peaks in England (Sca Fell), Scotland (Ben Nevis) and Wales (Snowdon) within 24 hours. For more info on the national 3-peaks challenge click here.

The Golspie challenge is rather more modest and involves climbing three local peaks: Ben Horn (520m), Ben Bhraggie (397m) and Silver Rock (265m). My pal Alisdair very kindly (?) included me in his team, together with his daughter and son-in-law. I did a recce of each of the peaks during the week and decided to withdraw from the challenge. Only Ben Bhraggie had a recognizable path to the summit, the other two involved quite steep ascents through the heather. I would have been a mill stone around their collective neck. I look forward to hearing how they got on. Am I a wuss for withdrawing?

Instead, yesterday, I walked along the coast from Golspie to Brora (11km, 2 hours 18 minutes) and enjoyed a big boy's breakfast once I got there. There was a tiny burn (a Scottish word meaning a small stream) to traverse but the heavy rains from earlier in the week caused the level of water to rise and to submerge the stepping stones. I lost my balance and ended up with two wet feet but hey, it wasn't the end of the world.

Tomorrow -> England, Monday -> Spain. Vaccination certificate and Spanish health authority travel form both printed and ready for inspection at both LGW and BCN.  

Enjoy this version of 'the lion sleeps tonight' that I came across on FB yesterday:





No comments:

Post a Comment