link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Friday 2 April 2021

459: The Caminos

 Before: My friend Alisdair and I signed up to walk the Camino de Santiago de Campostela in North West Spain. There is a choice of walks but they all converge on the cathedral of St James in Campostela. We were going to walk the route known as The English Way, 120 km (75 miles). We had decided to do it over 7 days - 3 days walking, a rest day, and then another 3 days walking. The plan was to walk into Campostela on 2nd April, my 70th birthday and, coincidentally, Good Friday this year.

And then there was lockdown and we were banned from traveling to Spain. Plan B was quickly hatched. I would walk the same number of miles around Ramsey (and Huntingdon and St. Ives) and Alisdair would walk around Golspie, in the North of Scotland. We designed and created a just giving page and so far have raised more than £1,700 for our three nominated charities. https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/DesBuckley

 We have been training for the walk since January by walking 10 miles on 2, or 3, consecutive days, usually at the weekend. We soon came to realize this would be no cakewalk. Sometimes I doubted my ability to complete the whole distance. Hopefully the money that people have kindly donated will be enough to motivate me when the going gets tough.

During: Here is the proof....

Out the front door at 08:30 daunted by the prospect of 120km in less than a week. The weather was kind to me.
Upwood and back via Palm Sunday church service in St Thomas a Becket church in Ramsey.
Huntingdon, for a change. And the first McDonalds of the year!


This was always going to be 'the big one'. I was glad to get it out of the way.


Walking from RAF Wyton to St Ives and out to Hemingford Grey.


So pleased it's all over. Time for a drink to celebrate my 70th birthday!


After: Boy, am I glad it's over! I was so lucky with the weather - no rain all week. My friend Alisdair, walking in the North of Scotland, got rained on more than once. Many thanks to everybody who sponsored us.

Today I am celebrating my 70th birthday. I think to reach the 'grand old age' of 'three score years and ten' is a remarkable achievement. Not everybody is so lucky. Here are two videos by Harvey Andrews about two people whose life was taken from them. Both songs are based on true stories and I find them extraordinarily poignant. Do have a listen if you haven't heard them before.




No comments:

Post a Comment