link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Friday 16 October 2020

450: The Doll and Duchary hill


Doll is described as a scattered mixed crofting township and rural village 2 miles (3 km) southwest of Brora, on the A9 coast road, on the east coast of Sutherland, Scottish Highlands and is in the Scottish council area of Highland

 It is from there that we started, and finished, yesterday's walk up to, and around, Duchary hill. Or rather from the ford at the Western end of the village. A ford, if any of my readers don't know, is a shallow place in a river where cars can (sometimes) cross. There has been a lot of rain lately (when is there not?) and it would be prudent not to attempt to cross at the moment.

The ascent was enjoyable as there was a path to follow. Even so, waterproof boots would have been a distinct advantage. Coming down, through the bracken, was more of a challenge. It would have been so easy to twist an ankle and become a liability to my walking partner. The narrative for the walk suggested 6 miles and 3 hours. We did it in 2 hours 55 minutes - perhaps we were walking too fast! My fitbit watch told me at the end of the day that I had covered a little over 20,000 steps. Not too shabby. I hope that went some way to counter the biscuit and cake tin booby traps that always catch me as I pass the kitchen

I'm sitting on the Highland Chieftain train on my way back to England and if their on-board wifi is up to it I'll add a few pictures to the blog.










1 comment: