link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Tuesday 1 September 2020

447: There's gold in them there hills

I'm out and about in the Highlands of Scotland. Many people have heard of gold rushes in Alaska and California. Not everybody knows that there was also a 'gold rush' in Scotland. It took place in the Strath of Kildonan in Sutherland in 1869. Click here for more information. 

My friend Alisdair and I went walking there yesterday and, needless to say, we found no gold and came out as poor as we went in. Nevertheless, it was a very pleasant 9 mile walk. The weather, unusually, was kind to us and, as far as I know, there was no coronavirus lurking in the hills just good, Scottish, fresh air. On this map it looks flat, but let me assure you, it wasn't! 

On the way to the walk we stopped at the coastal village of Helmsdale for a caffeine fix. Unfortunately, sleepy Helmsdale doesn't do mornings so the few coffee shops there were firmly closed. Never mind, we managed to get some cold starbucks coffee from the local Spar shop and got our fix that way. On the way back, after the walk, the village had finally woken up and we got some coffee in the Timespan cafeteria.     

A few pictures from the walk, showing the glorious heather and, a new word for me, an ancient sheep fank. 



The burn where they panned for gold


The sheep fank

Alisdair and I posing at the cairn atop Cnoc na Bèiste (350 metres). In the distance a mountain called Morven!




Finally, a short video clip about 'the gold rush'

No comments:

Post a Comment