link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Sunday 29 May 2016

371: Amsterdam



Yesterday I got up at silly o'clock in the morning and drove my little hire car from Golspie to Edinburgh. There I returned it to those nice car hire people and caught a plane to Amsterdam, where I had just a few hours to spare before my connecting flight to Warsaw.
What to do I asked myself. And then I asked my old pal Matt Grattan, who lives not far from there. He gave me several tips and the one I took him up on was to cross the "body of water" by (free) ferry  from Amsterdam Central station and sit cuddling a beer and watching the world go around. It was an absolutely beautiful day for it. I say "body of water" because it isn't a river and it isn't a lake. It is, in Dutch, the Ij, and it is Amsterdam's waterfront. It is also where the Rhine river cruise ships dock and I was there last December when the cruise ship laid on a taxi to take us the 100m to the station. Sitting supping my beer I made a mental note to myself to spend more time in Amsterdam in the future and to explore more of what the city has to offer. This time there was only enough time for a quick beer and then a very packed, standing-room only, train back to the airport.  Back in Warsaw now and no more travels until Friday when I will take a train to Łodż and watch a concert given by the man shown in the video below.
By Oxyman - Own work, CC BY 2.5, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5100654



No comments:

Post a Comment