link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Wednesday 23 September 2015

350: I've got my head in the clouds

For my students learning English, let me explain the title. To have your head in the clouds means to be out of touch with reality, or daydreaming. I feel like that sometimes. I'm sure we all do. (Don't we?)
This morning I want to briefly extol the virtues of cloud computing, show you two pictures of clouds that took my fancy and attach a video clip of the Rolling Stones singing "Get off of my cloud". It is from 1967 and the pedants among you will realize it should be "get off my cloud" rather than "get off of". Artistic licence.
Cloud computing - a "fairly" recent technology that allows your work and files to be located "somewhere out there". Dropbox is a fine example, as is Microsoft's OneDrive. The great advantage of storing your files "in the cloud" is that you can access them wherever you are and on whichever device you have with you - laptop, tablet or mobile. The memory stick has almost gone the way of floppy discs, VHS or Beta-Max video. Not always easy keeping up with the latest technology but worth doing. Sometimes I wonder how I ever managed before "the cloud".
Here are two pictures of clouds. The first one was taken from the balcony of my flat this morning just as dawn was breaking. I know the old adage goes "....., red sky in the morning, shepherds' warning" but it was beautiful anyway. The second was through the window of my Ryanair flight back to Warsaw last Saturday. Like flying over cotton wool.
There seems to be a dearth of students at the moment. If anybody knows anybody who wants to learn English - either face-to-face or over Skype - then please point them my way. TIA (SMS/text speak for thanks in advance)



No comments:

Post a Comment