link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Saturday 5 January 2013

216:Culture vulture*

Back in Moscow after spending New Year in UK, I thought I might visit/re-visit a few of Moscow's museums. I had read that all the museums, apart from the zoo (!, yes, I know), would be free to the general public during the long holiday, 31 Dec - 08 Jan). Of course there can be only two outcomes from such an announcement: firstly it's not quite true and perhaps not all the museums will be free. Secondly the queues for the more popular museums will stretch twice around Moscow. 
This is what I found at the Museum of Contemporary History, just North of Tverskaya metro station.

A dearth of visitorsThis says that entrance is payable during the holidays

After that little setback I thought I might try the Borodino panorama, having never been there before. This is what I came across on the way there


If this is Grandfather Frost then he should surely be heading away from Moscow, having delivered all his presents.

And then, when I got to the panorama, ужас!




Not being blessed with Russian patience and single-mindedness I decided to abandon the search for cultural enrichment and went instead to the cinema at afimoll to see The Hobbit. Enjoyable but not the easiest film to understand in Russian. On the way there I managed to spend a few minutes admiring the art exhibition at Vistavochnaya metro station which reminded me how vast Russia really is. I managed some culture after all.








Reminded me of the word оленовод = a reindeer breeder
* Culture vulture = noun, informal, a person who is interested in the arts
N.B. Don't forget - you can click on any of these pictures to enlarge them.

No comments:

Post a Comment