link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Sunday 4 November 2012

201:Invasion

According to the BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/on_this_day/?date=11_04), on this day in 1956 "A massive Soviet force invaded Hungary, crushing the popular uprising that had begun in October".
Of course many of my Russian friends, students, and acquaintances won't like the word "invasion" and will suggest either that the event in question didn't happen at all, or else they will say that the troops went in at the request of the Hungarian people. I have no further comment.

I think I've mentioned before that my block of flats was being refurbished. The first picture is of work-in-progress outside the front door. They never did tile the whole step - maybe next year. The second picture is, to my mind, so Russian that I couldn't not show it. Inside the front door the new tiles are looking lovely and the entrance doors and the whole stairwell have been painted. It would be nice to have a doormat to wipe ones feet now that the streets are constantly wet and slushy. But no, doormats could get nicked. So some kind person lays some cardboard for us to wipe our feet. It's just such a paradox: lovely new tiles and a crappy old piece of cardboard. Wonder if my troll is still around - he'll be going his mile if he reads today's blog.



What a nightmare journey back from Sheremetovo yesterday. I had foolishly assumed that because it was Saturday evening the traffic would be light. Big mistake. It took almost an hour to get off the airport spur onto the Leningradka and even then the traffic was crawling. Was I glad to finally get home. Remind me to ALWAYS ALWAYS "let the train take the strain".

No comments:

Post a Comment